Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Foreign govts to help recruit specialists

The Health Ministry will work directly with the governments of Egypt, India and Pakistan to hire qualified medical specialists to help resolve the shortage of these experts in Malaysia.
The ministry previously advertised in the foreign media for specialists but those who applied were not very good, minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said.
“The doctors who replied to our advertisements were qualified but many of them were sent back because of attitude problems,” he told reporters during a visit to the Temenggong Seri Maharaja Tun Ibrahim Hospital in Kulai near here, yesterday.
“Of course, these doctors also had to go through an interview locally.


Concerned: Liow talking to a woman who was waiting for her turn at the Temenggong Seri Maharaja Tun Ibrahim Hospital’s emergency unit during his visit yesterday. — Bernama

“But, sometimes, they could not perform according to our expectations,” he said.
“By working directly with the governments, we would be able to hire better doctors, as they would be vetted by both the foreign and local governments,” he said.
Liow said the Egyptian health ministry submitted a list of 58 specialists who would be recruited to work in local hospitals or medical facilities.
“The Egyptian government has given these specialists sabbatical leave.
“So, many of them are more than willing to leave their country and serve here,” he said, adding that the agreement was for these doctors to serve only for two years.
Liow said the same system would be applied to recruit specialists from India and Pakistan. On another matter, Liow said he would be asking for more allocations from the Finance Ministry for additional medical supplies in Johor.
“I have been informed that the state needs RM22mil worth of additional medical supplies,” he said, adding that he would forward the proposal soon.

RM64mil question, No progress in CBR programmes after three years

There has been no improvement in community-based rehabilitation (CBR) programmes for disabled persons despite RM64mil being allocated three years ago, said Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil.
She lamented that until now there was no specialised work to upgrade facilities for disabled people like many other Asia-Pacific countries.
She added that she would personally monitor the programmes from now on through monthly meetings with disabled development department directors and social welfare officers.
She would also oversee the economic empowerment programmes to tap the potential of disabled persons and ensure that CBR centre staff be trained to use new technology for communication to help the disabled.
Shahrizat said the CBR centres should be easily accessible to disabled persons and alternative communication for the disabled should be looked into in view of the IT era.
“I’m not happy. The CBR has yet to improve the disabled facilities despite the CBR transformation plan, which kicked off three years ago,” she told newsmen after closing the Asia Pacific Convention on CBR here yesterday.
Shahrizat also expressed disappointment with employers for not recruiting disabled persons and not providing disabled-friendly facilities for them.
“It is regrettable since Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak’s administration emphasises inclusiveness, disabled persons are not given their proper place,” she said.
Currently, there are 428 CBR centres nationwide with 1,654 workers handling 18,943 disabled persons.
On the proposal to introduce sex education to kindergarten children next year, Shahrizat said her ministry would have another round of meetings with Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
The teaching modules and syllabus were already in place, but had yet to be finalised.
“Tan Sri Muhyiddin will make the announcement on the matter,” she said.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Trio assaulted for honking at cars

Three men were seriously injured after they were attacked for honking at two stalled cars in Jalan Genting Klang here. The incident occured at 5.30am yesterday when the victims, who were in a lorry, noticed a BMW and a Toyota Alphard moving haphazardly before stopping in the middle of the road.
Sentul OCPD Asst Comm Zakaria Pagan said the lorry driver decided to honk at the two cars to the chagrin of the drivers who stormed out of their vehicles.
The lorry driver sped off but the two cars caught up with the vehicle at a traffic light near Danau Kota. Ten suspects then alighted from the two cars and assaulted the three men with knives and wooden bats.
ACP Zakaria said the victims, who sustained injuries to their head, hands and legs, were sent to a nearby clinic by some passers-by.
The trio, aged between 25 and 48 years, were later transferred to Hospital Kuala Lumpur because of their serious condition.
He urged those with information to contact the nearest police station.